In April, I was diagnosed with Basilar Migraines. One of the symptoms/side effects/whatever you want to call it I have is hearing issues. Sometimes it is just a ringing in my one ear, sometimes both ears. Sometimes it is decreased hearing in one or both ears. Or occasionally I have lost hearing completely in one ear for a few minutes and it has returned slowly. Also, in group environments or rooms with bad acoustics, I have a hard time hearing the conversation I am in. I have not been able to put a pattern with getting a migraine and having these issues yet, but I do know they're related. When the more severe episodes happen, they scare me. I am unsure if they will get better, worse, or stay the same in the future but I am learning ways to deal with it when I do have problems.
Before all of this had started, I took ASL as a class for fun. Some of my close friends and family know basic signs and I can have a short conversation with them. I have used signing to communicate when I have a hard time hearing, but it is difficult because the people I am trying to communicate with don't know it well and neither do I. I am hoping once I get settled down somewhere I can get my core group of friends and maybe even co-workers to learn enough that if I have to use it, we can communicate easily.
The other day I was telling my friend about these hearing issues and it came up that her parents are Deaf. A few weeks ago I saw a family signing in Wal-Mart and I wanted to introduce myself but didn't feel comfortable but have decided if I see them again, I will. Today in Church, Pastor Bryan taught us the sign for crazy because he was signing it while preaching. At lunch I learned that two of my friends are deaf in one of their ears. There are definitely some connections happening here that I need to pay attention to.
No comments:
Post a Comment