Monday, May 16, 2011

Day One

Today was my first day of my 3rd co-op rotation with Dow Chemical.  This term I am working in Freeport, TX in Engineering Solutions with the PCE/Mechanical group.  Basically any piece of equipment in the plant falls under this.  The role of ES is when an area or a plant needs a new piece of equipment or they are building a new plant, ES is used to do calculations and designs and ultimately come up with the new equipment.  I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing but hopefully I'll be able to try the different things.  Some people are strictly number crunchers and others actually go out into the field to visually scope out the project.

Today was probably the best first day I've ever had.  It went really fast and I actually worked a full day.  My peer coach Jason and I were unsure of the schedule for this morning.  I had found out some information from other co-ops here, but wasn't sure what I was supposed to do either.  Jason and I had agreed to meet in our building at 7:30 then go to the HR building to figure out what was going on.  When I arrived around 7:20 there were a few out of state license plates circling the parking lot.  I decided to follow since I assumed they were co-ops.  I was correct.  I then called Jason and told him what was going on.  We had our little orientation and paper collection for about an hour then we were off to the races with our new jobs.  Jason and I decided to go back to our building (across the street from HR and also outside the gate) instead of going to get my badge immediately since all the other co-ops would be headed there.  We wandered through there, met new people in the group, and got me situated at my desk.  I opened my computer and in one month had received 120 e-mails.  Newark finally got me on their distribution list after I left.  Figures.  I sorted through those, forwarded/replied to some, and then met up with Jaime my technical coach.  We chatted for a bit and I found out that he co-oped at the site I was at this spring and he also knows my supervisor from last summer.  Small world.  After we chatted, the team I'll be working closely with went to lunch at a place called The Burrito Factory (TBF).  I'm not a huge fan of burritos but these were actually really good.  After lunch I finished sorting through e-mails, talked with my office mate (an intern working in ES as an electrical engineer), and started some work I had been given.  The work was nothing much - checking some drawings to make sure revisions had been made and there were no other changes that shouldn't have been made.  I didn't get to finish that due to the day being over so maybe tomorrow.

As far as work schedules go, the rest of my group mostly works 4-10s so I'll be doing that too.  I'll be working from 7-5:30 M-R and have off on every Friday.  Most of my work group is younger too and has only been at Dow a few years and/or graduated a few years ago.  It's definitely a different type of environment than what I'm used to.  I'm excited for the new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment